4.11.2008

Cinnamon Chips and Fruit Salsa

For a party to kick-off our final Spring Fling weekend at Penn, we baked homemade cinnamon chips and created an accompanying fruit salsa. Given the reviews for the recipe, we expected it to be good, but I don't think anyone anticipated how unbelievably delicious this snack would be -- it is absolutely our new all-time favorite party food. My love for this dish reminds me of Green Eggs and Ham: It would eat it in a car, I would eat it at a bar. I would eat it by the pool, I would eat it after school. I would eat it on my way, I would eat it every day.

I've always loved cinnamon pita chips, and I became completely hooked on these with my first bite. I couldn't stop eating them, and I wasn't the only one. They had a perfect crunch, and tasted amazing with and without the fruit salsa. I loved them as a late-night snack, but I don't think there's a time of day when these wouldn't be appropriate. I can't say enough wonderful things about these, so just make them and you'll see what we mean.

We found the recipe here on All Recipes, and we substituted the variety of apple, as well as blackberries for raspberries due to high costs. We used strawberry preserves, which turned out great. I'm posting our slightly modified version below. They are so good.

Ingredients:
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and diced
8 oz. blackberries
1 lb. strawberries
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp strawberry preserves (or other fruit flavor)

10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
2 cups cinnamon sugar

Instructions:
In a large bowl, mix kiwis, apples, blackberries, strawberries, sugars and preserves. Cover refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange on a large baking sheet. Coat wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.