4.17.2008

Passover Almond Rocha

I love to make recipes that I know I'll continue to make for years and years. I keep imagining that when I'm 50, I'll look back and remember how I used to make Passover Almond Rocha in my tiny college kitchen. I'll wonder how I ever used plain chocolate chips or fit three cookie sheets into such a small freezer when now I (future Me) have the finest chocolates delivered to my house weekly and utilize two walk-in freezers. If only.

I can't imagine Passover without this Almond Rocha. I look forward to it every year, and forbid myself from making it any other time. This ensures 1) that I have an entire year to work off the weight gained from consuming too much of this incredible treat and 2) that I never ever tire of it. Alex and my roommate have also become full-blown addicts, and I love to watch the face of anyone who tastes it for the first time. There are a lot of chocolate-covered matzah recipes in this world, but this Passover Almond Rocha is by far better than anything like it.

My mom originally received this recipe from a friend, but I have no clue where it came from before that. It's perfect the way it is, and easy enough to make last-minute. We'll be featuring this dessert at our 26-person (and counting) Seder on Sunday night -- more details on that to come later this week!

Ingredients:
3 pieces matzah
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 1/4 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds

Instructions:
Line a cookie sheet with tin foil, dull side facing up. Cover with matzah without overlapping pieces. Preheat oven to 350. Heat butter and sugar in a saucepan. When it starts to boil, stir constantly for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Pour sauce over matzah, and place in oven for 5 minutes, until bubbling all over. Sprinkle chocolate chips over matzah and once they have begun to melt, spread until chocolate smoothly covers the matzah. Sprinkle with almonds, and freeze for one hour. Break into pieces, and refrigerate until serving.