8.06.2007

Jamaican Roasted Chicken

Tonight I cooked without Alex's help! Well, okay, he arrived in time to determine whether the chicken was actually done because I was completely clueless, but still: baby steps. The stakes were high. I wanted to show off my newly-acquired skills, but also to create something yummy and simple. I called my mom.

Me: What should I cook for Alex?
Mom: Jamaican chicken.
Me: I don't know how.
Mom: I'm cooking it tonight.
Me: I don't know how.
Mom: Let me call you back in three seconds, I have to put it in the oven.
(10 minutes later)
Me: So what should I cook?
Mom: Jamaican chicken. Terriaki sauce, soy sauce, curry and brown sugar. The curry makes it taste good.
Me: But I don't know how much of each.
Mom: Geez Alanna! Want me to make something up? Just mix it together until it tastes good!
Me: Okay.
Mom: And cayenne pepper.

So I did. And it was so good! Perfectly sweet and spicy -- I was so proud.


Ingredients: (These are approximate, just keep adding brown sugar or whatever else until until it tastes good)
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup terriaki sauce
2 tbsp curry

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

1 whole roasting chicken
4 carrots
1 onion

Instructions

Mix the soy sauce, terriaki sauce, curry, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and brown sugar together. Chop the onion and carrots into large chunks. Place the vegetables around the chicken in a roasting pan. Take the mixture and rub it all over the chicken, especially under the skin. Bake it in the oven at 375, cook times depend on the weight of the chicken (mine took about 1 1/2 hours)