12.19.2007

Coconut Lime Muffins with Rasberry Filling

Nothing like the end of the semester to throw you into an existential crisis. Studying, the material seems brand-new, and suddenly we're forced to think: Oh my God, what did I actually do this semester? And before you know it: Why am I doing this? Then the kicker: Who am I?

But back to the first question. Finals are finally over, which allowed me some time to consider the question in a broader sense, not just in the "what did I do this semester that apparently erased all recollection of this concept I'm supposed to know" sense. Upon consideration, I've concluded that something that I did quite well this semester was learn to bake muffins. We did Peanut Butter & Jelly, Vanilla and Chocolate Chip and Apple Cinnamon, as well as Chocolate Pumpkin cupcakes. Muffins are my thing! I can make them -- even without Alex's help -- and they always taste delicious! Proud, I couldn't help but do a final muffin hoorah of the semester.

I adapted a recipe from my Muffins Galore cookbook, and it turned out incredibly. As I know from my favorite bath products, coconut and lime are a miracle duo. The crumble topping lends a sweet and delicious crunch, and the rasberry filling adds a surprisingly good contrast. We served these little darlings to friends while watching the season-finale of A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila. It made me feel good about life.

Ingredients:
(muffins)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup coconut
1 cup superfine sugar (I used half superfine, half granulated, it worked)
3 tsp lime zest, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (we used 1 percent)
1/4 cup coconut milk
7 tbsp butter, melted
rasberry jelly

(topping)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup coconut
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375. Put muffin tins into the muffin pan. Make the topping first by putting all the ingredients in a bowl and rubbing the butter into them until it forms a coarse meal. For the muffins, mix flour, baking powder, coconut, sugar and lime zest in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, coconut milk and melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix (the batter will seem somewhat thick like cookie dough, it's okay). Spoon batter into muffin tins, halfway up. Add about a tsp of jelly, and fill to top with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, until well risen and golden. Cool and serve.